This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
6. - Glossary of mobile BI terms: Read more in this section
- business intelligence (BI)
- mobile business intelligence
- business intelligence competency center (BICC)
- business intelligence dashboard
- BYOD (bring your own device)
- IT consumerization (information technology consumerization)
- enterprise mobility
- mobile enterprise application platform (MEAP)
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Corporate mobile business intelligence trends
- 2. - High profile companies implementing mobile BI
- 3. - Best-practices advice for implementing a mobile BI strategy
A mobile enterprise application platform (MEAP) is development environment that provides tools and middleware for developing, testing, deploying and managing corporate software running on mobile devices.
Generally speaking, a MEAP has two important features:
- a mobile application development environment and back-end web services to manage those mobile applications and link them to enterprise applications and databases.
- a centralized management component that enables an administrator to control which users can access an application and what enterprise databases that application can pull data from.
Sometimes, a MEAP will be used in conjunction with a mobile device management (MDM) platform. MDM products manage mobile devices, while MEAP solutions manage the enterprise applications running on those devices.